You must have taken your GRE and TOEFL by now (or reading this to choose 4 schools for the free GRE/TOEFL slots) and not thinking to retake. The next step is to make a list of universities that matches your profile. While you can do this with the help of a consultant, most of them mislead the applicant to apply for a university that’s way safer for his/her profile as the consultancy may have ties with that university. In this post, I will mention some of the best methods to make a list of universities in less than a weeks time but first, you must have a brief idea of answering these questions:
- What is your degree going to be in? M.Eng or M.S or M.S.A or others?
- Are you going to continue your undergrad field or take up a new field? (Eg. Some people consider taking up CS even though they have an Electronics degree)
- Whats your specialization going to be (Eg. MS in Networking, Data Science or MS in Software Engineering)?
Once you have an answer to these questions, do the following:
- Decide the number of schools to apply to. Application fee towards each university ranges from $25 to $100. Many applicants on an average apply to a minimum of 3 and a maximum of 8 programs.
- Use the Yocket services. Fill in your scores, and give your SOP, LOR ratings to get yourself a university list. Pick two from moderate, two from safe and two from ambitious.
- Use the Edulix services. Fill in your scores, and pick from ONLY SAFE universities.
- Use the EdxEngine services. Fill in your scores and wait for 24 hrs to get your free list. Pick two from green, two from orange and one from red.
- If UNION of all those lists gives you more than the ‘n’ number of schools you decided to apply to, open USNews rankings and sort your list. Pick your ‘n’ schools from the top.
- Other selection criteria: Concentration of Indian population, weather, safety of internationals in the city, cost of living, co-op programs, scholarship/TA/RA chances, cousins living in the area and kinds of jobs offered in the state (For eg. NY is famous for jobs in financial firms whereas California is famous for Tech jobs).
Finally, remember that you must be happy and willing to attend any of the universities you applied for. Read about how I prepared my list.