You’re now ready with a generic SOP and LOR template. All that’s left is to make your list of ‘dream’ universities. Beware that a consultancy can mislead you to apply for universities that it has ties with. On the other hand, you can do it yourself if you have answers to these questions.
- What type of degree to pursue? (M.Eng or M.S or M.S.A)
- Are you going to choose a new field? (Like an EE graduate can take up CS)
- What is your focus going to be in (Eg. Networking, Data Science or Security)?
Once you have an answer to these questions, do the following:
- Decide the number of schools to apply to. Application fee towards each university ranges from $25 to $100. Many applicants on an average apply to a minimum of 3 and a maximum of 8 programs.
- Use the Yocket services. Fill in your scores, and give your SOP, LOR ratings to get yourself a university list. Pick two from moderate, two from safe and two from ambitious.
- Use the Edulix services. Fill in your scores, and pick from ONLY SAFE universities.
- Use the EdxEngine services. Fill in your scores and wait for 24 hrs to get your free list. Pick two from green, two from orange and one from red.
- If UNION of all those lists gives you more than the ‘n’ number of schools you decided to apply to, open USNews rankings and sort your list and pick ‘n’ schools from the top.
- You might also want to consider these factors. The concentration of Indian population, weather, safety of internationals in the city, cost of living, co-op programs, scholarship/TA/RA chances, relatives living in the area and types of jobs popular in the state (For eg. NY is famous for its financial firms while California is famous for its IT).
Finally, remember that if you get an admit from any program, you must be happy and willing to attend.
Read about how I prepared my list.