So, you’re thinking whether or not to pursue your Masters in the US. These facts will help you make a decision.
- The process takes about a lakh (in INR) before you even get a decision from the university and three before you board your flight.
- The total estimate of your study in the US in a good university is 40+ lakh INR.
- You might even have to come back (to India) after you graduate, which implies, you’ll have to spend your following 5+ years‘ salary to repay the loan.
- You may have to take a loan on collateral (assets may be confiscated if you can’t repay the loan).
- Your parents/supporters have to pay interest towards your loan and your living expenses every month (40,000* + 40,000 = 80,000 INR) unless you get an on-campus job. (* varying)
- Know that you can always drop or postpone your “US Dreams” at any point in this process.
- Some universities gives you an option to defer your admission. You can always proceed when the time is right.
- Understand that (in the present circumstances) the risk is high.
If you’re comfortable with the consequences, welcome aboard.
You must know these before we proceed any further (after you own a VALID PASSPORT) :
- The universities commences during Fall or Spring seasons. If you’re applying for the Fall semester, that means that you’re going to join the university in August whereas Spring implies joining in January.
- Students prefer Fall to Spring because of two important reasons – a) Most of the universities offer no Spring programs and b) In India, undergrad is usually completed in June and so, students opt for Fall without wasting the next six months.
- Universities are categorized into public and private.
- Public universities are undertaken by the state governments in US. The fee is usually lower compared to the private universities and hence, admissions are competitive. Some popular public universities include University of California system and University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
- Private universities are not operated by governments. Some popular private universities include Ivy leagues, Stanford and Carnegie Mellon.