Now that you have your dream list of universities, get a Credit card that can make international transactions.
For each university on your list, make sure that the deadline hasn’t passed for the program you’re applying to and do the following from official ETS website:
- Send your GRE score to the university, $27.
- Send your TOEFL score to the university, $20.
Remember not to resend scores, if you already did use the free option. Now for each university on your list, visit the graduate application portal (Eg. Google for “Stanford Graduate Apply” and search for the “Apply Now” button), create an account and do whatever the application requires you to, such as:
- Fill in personal details (Name, address, Passport number).
- Upload SOP and LORs (in PDF).
- Fill in the contact information of the professors you chose to be recommended by. (They will be later be mailed with a URL to upload their letter)
- Upload your Original Degree or scanned official college Transcripts (Transcript is a photocopy of your mark memos that has the college ink seal – you may have to contact your college authorities to get this) in PDF. Some colleges (like Arizona State University) will need you to mail them the hard copies instead of the scans.
- Pay the application fee (usually between $25 and $100). Remember that no changes to the application (EXCEPT modifications to your LOR recommenders) can be done once you pay this non-refundable fee.
The application process will cost you approximately INR 10,000 x the no. of universities. For example, if you apply to 10 universities, you may have to spend about INR 1,00,000 (1 Lakh).
Your application portal will have a check-list and once, the application is shown “COMPLETE”, you have to wait for the program decision (the decision process may take more than 2 months). Many universities for Fall admissions have their deadlines from December and rolls out decision by April of the following year.
If your documents exceed the size limit imposed by the application portals (say it may not exceed 1MB in size) or you need to combine multiple documents (all college transcripts in one PDF or passport identity pages), then these links might be useful.